Division of Cardiology
|Head of Division||Dr. Joseph YS Chan, Consultant|
|Academic Staff and Clinical Staff||
Prof. Alex PW Lee, Associate Professor
Prof. Bryan PY Yan, Associate Professor
Prof. Erik Fung, Assistant Professor
Dr. Eugene B Wu, Consultant
Dr. Anna KY Chan, Associate Consultant
Dr. Chin-Pang Chan, Associate Consultant
Dr. Karl CY Chan, Associate Consultant
Dr. Gary SH Cheung, Associate Consultant
Dr. Li-Li Cheung, Associate Consultant
Dr. Ka-Lung Chui, Associate Consultant
Dr. Wai-Kin Chi, Resident
Dr. Kevin KH Kam, Resident
Dr Chak-Yu So, Resident
Dr. Tsz-Kin Tam, Resident
Dr. Guang-Ming Tan, Resident
Prof. Cheuk-Kit Wong, Adjunct Professor
|Research Academic Staff||
Prof. Qin Yang, Assistant Professor
Prof. Andrew Coats, Visiting Professor (honorary)
Prof. Jing-Ping Sun, Adjunct Associate Professor
Prof. Xing-Sheng Yang, Adjunct Associate Professor
- Cardiac Care Unit
- Non-invasive Cardiac Investigation Unit
- S.H. Ho Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke Centre
- Heart Education And Research Training (HEART) Centre
- Institute of Vascular Medicine
- CUHK-PWH Lee Quo Wei Cardiovascular Intervention Centre
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Cutting-edge technology in the monitoring (e.g. intrathoracic impedance technology) and treatment (e.g. cardiac contractility modulation) of heart failure
- New echocardiographic techniques for quantitative and qualitative assessment of cardiac function (e.g. tissue Doppler imaging and its post-processing imaging modalities, 2D strain, real-time 3D and 4D echocardiography, dyssynchrony imaging), 3D TEE, etc
- Conduct cardiovascular clinical trials and multi-centre studies, including those for heart failure, hypertension, acute coronary syndrome, lipid-lowering, percutaneous coronary intervention, cardiac arrhythmia, pacing and related devices
- New indications and technologies in cardiac pacing and arrhythmia management
- Non-invasive cardiac imaging technologies for assessment of cardiovascular diseases, e.g. cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, cardiac CT scan and new heart sound analysis technology
- Integration of non-invasive and invasive imaging in cardiac catheterization laboratory for coronary and arrhythmia management
- Epidemiological studies for cardiovascular diseases
- Hypertension studies: examination of contributing factors in Chinese including the role of genetic polymorphisms, treatment and surrogate end-point assessment including arterial wall stiffness
- Atherosclerosis and arterial endothelial dysfunction
- Management of acute coronary syndrome including the use of invasive assessment of coronary plaques and new percutaneous coronary interventional technologies
- Structural heart disease interventions
- Cardiovascular complications in rheumatological disorders
- Coronary intervention with intravascular ultrasound quantification of plaque burden
- Animal models of myocardial fibrosis, myocardial infarction and hypertension
- Genetics and atherosclerosis
- Stem cell therapy and gene therapy in animal models
- Lee AP, Hsiung MC, Salgo IS, Fang F, Xie JM, Zhang YC, Lin QS, Looi JL, Wan S, Wong RH, Underwood MJ, Sun JP, Yin WH, Wei J, Tsai SK, Yu CM. Quantitative analysis of mitral valve morphology in mitral valve prolapse using real-time three-dimensional echocardiography: Importance of annular saddle-shape in pathogenesis of mitral regurgitation. Circulation. 2013 Feb 19;127(7):832-41.
- Yu CM, Hayes DL. Cardiac resynchronization therapy: state of the art 2013. Eur Heart J. 2013 May;34(19):1396-403.
- Liang YJ, Zhang Q, Fang F, Lee AP, Liu M, Yan BP, Lam YY, Chan GC, Yu CM. Incremental value of global systolic dyssynchrony in determining the occurrence of functional mitral regurgitation in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Eur Heart J. 2013 Mar;34(10):767-74.
- Sun JP, Lee AP, Wu C, Lam YY, Hung MJ, Chen L, Hu Z, Fang F, Yang XS, Merlino JD, Yu CM. Quantification of left ventricular regional myocardial function using two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography in healthy volunteers - A multi-center study. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Jul 31;167(2):495-501.
- Chan JY, Fang F, Zhang Q, Fung JW, Razali O, Azlan H, Lam KH, Chan HC, Yu CM. Biventricular pacing is superior to right ventricular pacing in bradycardia patients with preserved systolic function: 2-year results of the PACE trial. Eur Heart J. 2011 Oct;32(20):2533-40.
- Lai KB, Sanderson JE, Yu CM. The regulatory effect of norepinephrine on Connective Tissue Growth Factor (CTGF) and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) expression in cultured cardiac fibroblasts. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Feb 20;163(2):183-9.
- Fang F, Zhang Q, Chan JY, Xie JM, Fung JW, Yip GW, Lam YY, Chan A, Yu CM. Deleterious effect of right ventricular apical pacing on left ventricular diastolic function and the impact of pre-existing diastolic disease. Eur Heart J. 2011 Aug;32(15):1891-9.
- Lee AP, Song JK, Yip GW, Zhang Q, Zhu TG, Li C, Chan A, Yu CM. Importance of dynamic dyssynchrony in the occurrence of hypertensive heart failure with normal ejection fraction. Eur Heart J. 2010 Nov;31(21):2642-9.
- Yu CM, Chan JY, Zhang Q, Omar R, Yip GW, Hussin A, Fang F, Lam KH, Chan HC, Fung JW. Biventricular pacing in patients with bradycardia and normal ejection fraction. N Engl J Med. 2009 Nov 26;361(22):2123-34.
- Mann JF, Schmieder RE, Dyal L, McQueen MJ, Schumacher H, Pogue J, Wang X, Probstfield JL, Avezum A, Cardona-Munoz E, Dagenais GR, Diaz R, Fodor G, Maillon JM, Rydén L, Yu CM, Teo KK, Yusuf S; for the TRANSCEND (Telmisartan Randomised Assessment Study in ACE Intolerant Subjects with Cardiovascular Disease) Investigators. Effect of Telmisartan on renal outcomes: A randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2009 July 7;151(1):1-10, W1-2.